Friday 28 March 2014

Pilates del Mar

Ocean view from pool-side terrace
When you're retired and living on the beach in the hot, Yucatan March heat, cleaning the pool once in a while, between siestas and margaritas, is about all I feel like doing most days.  However, in an attempt to not let my physique waste away (any further than it already has) I was convinced to start going to a Pilates class.

Sandra helping a student with a position







Our Cuban friend Sandra lives about 2 km north of us on the beach and has a drop-in Pilates class 3 times each week, usually Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  It's great exercise for core strength and flexibility.  So a few of the ladies around here and I get together with Sandra, at Sandra and Peter's home on the beach, and do our Pilates on their ocean-front, pool-side terrace.  The view and atmosphere are incredibly beautiful and Sandra's friendly personality makes the event a lot of fun.  They also rent rooms in their home which they call Castillito-Kin-Nah (Maya for House of the Sun) guest house.

Chris kneeling on Sandra to help her with a stretch
With my recent shoulder injury I have to be a little careful with some of the moves as I'm not able to raise my right arm above my head, but there's no pressure to do anything more than you are able to so that's never a problem.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment